Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
El Presidio in Tucson in Pima County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Hugo O'Conor

 
 
Hugo O'Conor Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 2, 2010
1. Hugo O'Conor Marker
Inscription.  
Commandant Inspector
of the
Interior Provinces of New Spain
Hugo O'Conor
Founder of the
Presidio San Agustin de Tucson
August 20, 1775

Hugh O'Conor was born in Ireland in 1734 during a time in Irish history when England dominated the existence of the Irish people. To escape the oppression of English rule, O'Conor left his homeland at the age of 16 to serve in the Spanish military. Many Irishmen of this time opted to serve under the Spanish government in return for Spain's promise to assist Ireland in ousting the English from Irish soil. These patriots were known as the Wild Geese and were subject to death by hanging if captured by the English.

Hugh O'Conor became a successful and respected military officer serving in Spain, the Caribbean and New Spain of Mexico. Although O'Conor would never touch the soil of his homeland again, he found delight and comfort in his adopted country of Spain and its provinces. Hugh O'Conor became known as Hugo O'Conor, "The Red Captain". Whether his nickname was derived from his battles with the Apache and Comanche Indians, his red hair,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
or the red coat he wore, Hugo O'Conor served Spain and its Allies, the Pima and other Native Americans, with dignity and conviction. On August 20, 1775, O'Conor, Commandant Inspector General of the Interior Provinces of New Spain, founded Tucson's presidio near the Pima Indian village called San Agustin de Tucson.

Before he died at the age of 44, O'Conor had risen to the rank of Brigadier General and Governor of the Yucatan, and was considered a brilliant military strategist by his superiors.
 
Erected 1998 by Citizens of Tucson, Arizona.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ExplorationNative AmericansSettlements & SettlersWars, Non-US. A significant historical year for this entry is 1775.
 
Location. 32° 13.402′ N, 110° 58.709′ W. Marker is in Tucson, Arizona, in Pima County. It is in El Presidio. Marker can be reached from West Paseo Redondo. Marker is on the grounds of 'The Manning House'. West Paseo Redondo may be reached from either West Alameda Street or North Granada Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 West Paseo Redondo, Tucson AZ 85701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Manning House (within shouting distance of this marker); Granada Avenue (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Presidio San Agustín del Tucson
Hugo O'Conor Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 2, 2010
2. Hugo O'Conor Marker
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Mansions of Main Avenue (approx. 0.2 miles away); Presidio Wall (approx. 0.2 miles away); N. W. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hiram S. Stevens House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Main Avenue (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucson.
 
Hugo O'Conor Sculpture image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 2, 2010
3. Hugo O'Conor Sculpture
Dedication Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 2, 2010
4. Dedication Plaque
Plaque on rear of Hugo O'Conor Sculpture
Hugo O’Conor Statue Dedication Ceremony
August 20, 1998
Sculptured by Brian P. Donahue
Generously sponsored by these Citizens of Tucson, Arizona
List of Donors
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,727 times since then and 185 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 5, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=31548

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024