Swansboro in Onslow County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Huggins' Island Fort
Confederate 6-gun fort guarding the entrance to Bogue Inlet; burned by Union troops, Aug. 19, 1862. Remains, 1 mi. SW.
Erected 1962 by Archives and Highway Departments. (Marker Number C 41.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is August 19, 1783.
Location. 34° 41.254′ N, 77° 7.045′ W. Marker is in Swansboro, North Carolina, in Onslow County. Marker is at the intersection of West Corbett Avenue (State Highway 35) and Front Street, on the right when traveling east on West Corbett Avenue. Marker is best reached by parking in the lot on the north side of the road, and following the walking path along the White Oak River, under the bridge. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Swansboro NC 28584, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Port Swannsborough (here, next to this marker); "Prometheus" (a few steps from this marker); Col. John Starkey (a few steps from this marker); Hammocks Beach State Park (approx. 1.9 miles away); Huggins Island Battery (approx. 1.9 miles away); James Melville Jones (approx. 14.6 miles away); Hofmann Forest (approx. 14.6 miles away); Julius Valentine Hofmann (approx. 14.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Swansboro.
More about this marker. While remote, only accessible via boat, the fort is the only remaining Confederate earthwork coastal fort in the state.
Also see . . .
1. Hammock Beach State Park. North Carolina States Parks entry (Submitted on February 14, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
2. More on Huggins Island. Swansboro, North Carolina History entry (Submitted on February 14, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 891 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on February 14, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.