Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oxford in Talbot County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Oxford

 
 
Oxford Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, October 22, 2007
1. Oxford Marker
Inscription.  
One of the first towns and ports authorized by Assembly in 1683. Called “William-Stade” in 1695. Robert Morris, father of the financier of the Revolution lived here until his death in 1750. He is buried at Old Whitmarsh Church.
 
Erected by State Roads Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1683.
 
Location. 38° 41.085′ N, 76° 10.244′ W. Marker is in Oxford, Maryland, in Talbot County. Marker is at the intersection of Maryland Route 333 and S. Morris Street, on the left when traveling west on State Route 333. Marker is in the triangular median. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oxford MD 21654, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Miniature Skipjack, Yankee Pedler (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1812-1865: Rebuilding (approx. 0.3 miles away); 1738-1793: Boom and Bust (approx. 0.3 miles away); Before There Was an Oxford (approx. 0.3 miles away); 1668-1710: Oxford's Beginnings
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.3 miles away); 1952-Present: Oxford Rises Again (approx. 0.3 miles away); 1870-1900: Oxford Booms Again (approx. 0.3 miles away); 1900-1950: Holding On (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oxford.
 
Also see . . .  Town Of Oxford - Maryland : A brief history. Town website entry:
"Oxford is one of the oldest towns in Maryland." (Submitted on August 9, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.) 
 
Wide view of the Oxford Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Crumlish, August 7, 2010
2. Wide view of the Oxford Marker
The Town of Oxford is bordered on three sides by the waters of the Chesapeake Bay. In the background boats are moored in Town Creek, just beyond Oxford Road.
Replica of Oxford's Custom House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, October 22, 2007
3. Replica of Oxford's Custom House
Oxford was a leading port in colonial Maryland.
The Strand image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Crumlish, August 7, 2010
4. The Strand
This residential street along the Tred Avon River anchors the Oxford Historic District. Once part of the bustling waterfront, today it is a mix of restored houses and recently constructed vacation homes.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,197 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 26, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   2. submitted on August 9, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.   3. submitted on October 26, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   4. submitted on August 9, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=3171

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 18, 2024