Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Centro Español de Tampa

 
 
Centro Español de Tampa Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 28, 2008
1. Centro Español de Tampa Marker
Inscription.  Chartered on September 7, 1891, El Centro Español was the first Latin club organized in Ybor City. As a mutual aid society, it provided early Spanish immigrants with a framework by which they maintained their identity and culture while supplying social privileges and death and injury benefits. Financed by stock pledges of $10 each by the original 186 Charter Members, the society opened the first club building in June 1892 on land purchased by Ignacio Haya at 16th Street and 7th Avenue. The membership soon outgrew the original building. By 1909 club officers embarked on a building campaign to build two new clubhouses - one in Ybor City and one to accommodate members in West Tampa. Completed in 1912, El Centro Español de Tampa sits on the site of the original structure on 7th Avenue. The long, two-story rectangular building houses a cantina and ballroom at its south end separated by a foyer and stairhall from the theater at its north end. The parapet of the stagehouse steps above the roof line of the main building at the north end of the site. The red brick edifice reflects the French Renaissance Revival style with Moorish and Spanish
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
influence. In 1988 the Department of the Interior designated El Centro Español de Tampa a National Historic Landmark.
 
Erected 1998 by City of Tampa,The Ybor City Development Corporation and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-383.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EntertainmentHispanic AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1892.
 
Location. 27° 57.617′ N, 82° 26.503′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is at the intersection of East 7th Avenue/Broadway Avenue (State Road 45/574) and North16th Street on East 7th Avenue/Broadway Avenue. Located in Ybor City Historic District of Tampa. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tampa FL 33605, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Roland M. Manteiga (a few steps from this marker); Molly Ferrara (a few steps from this marker); Vicente Martinez-Ybor (a few steps from this marker); B.F. Marcos Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of First Ybor City Railroad Station (within shouting distance of this marker); The Birth of Mutual Aid Societies in America
Centro Español de Tampa Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 28, 2008
2. Centro Español de Tampa Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); The Birth Of Ybor City (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hotel De La Havana (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
 
Additional keywords. Immigrants Immigration
 
El Centro Español de Tampa image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, May 12, 2010
3. El Centro Español de Tampa
The building's south facade along La Séptima (7th Avenue) features a cast-iron canopy framing the original main entrance (left). The historical marker can be seen in the foreground of the building's east facade, to the left of the palm tree. To the left of the Centro Español marker another historical marker is mounted on the building itself. The marker corresponds to the statue of Roland M. Manteiga, both of which appear in the shadows near the building's corner.
Centro Español de Tampa Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, April 26, 2009
4. Centro Español de Tampa Marker
Reverse view, looking south toward the corner of East 7th Avenue(La Séptima) and North 16th Street.
Centro Ybor Muvico 20 Theatres, image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 28, 2008
5. Centro Ybor Muvico 20 Theatres,
Built in the 1990's as part of the Centro Ybor commercial and entertainment complex.
El Centro Español de Tampa image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, June 4, 2010
6. El Centro Español de Tampa
Rear of building seen along East 8th Street from the 2nd story overlook near the Muvico cinema box office.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 14, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,059 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on June 9, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   3. submitted on May 16, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.   4. submitted on June 9, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.   5. submitted on July 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   6. submitted on June 9, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=31711

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024