Near Bennettsville in Marlboro County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Marlborough Court House / Old River Road
Located about one mile N. of here was the original county seat of Marlborough County, established in 1785. Tristram Thomas conveyed two acres of land to the county for the erection of public buildings in 1787, and the court house and jail were built there shortly afterward. The county seat was removed to a more central location in 1819. No trace of the original town remains.
This river road follows the course of the Great Pee Dee River and crosses U.S. 15 here. It was in existence before the Revolution and was a principal trade route from North Carolina and the Upper Pee Dee to Georgetown and Charleston. Early plantations lay along the road and it was traveled extensively by Patriot forces during the American Revolution.
Erected 1978 by Marlboro County Historic Preservation Commission. (Marker Number 35-26.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1785.
Location. 34° 34.969′ N, 79° 45.676′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bennettsville SC 29512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grave Of General Tristram Thomas / Saw Mill Baptist Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); D.D. McColl House / D.D. McColl House (approx. 4.8 miles away); Marlborough County Court House (approx. 5 miles away); Bennettsville Presbyterian Church (approx. 5 miles away); Bennettsville (approx. 5 miles away); Confederate Civil War Monument (approx. 5 miles away); General John McQueen (approx. 5 miles away); Shiness (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bennettsville.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study the marker shown.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 10, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 923 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 10, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.