Government Hill in Fort Sam Houston in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ft. Sam Houston Quadrangle and Staff Post
The Quadrangle, a scaled-down version of Jeffersonville Depot in Indiana, was begun in 1876 and originally served as a Quartermaster Depot and Headquarters for the Department of Texas. Designed as a fortress-like building with both one and two stories surrounding a water/watchtower, it was sited on the highest available ground to take advantage of the summer breezes. The grounds in the middle of the Quadrangle, encompassing roughly eight acres, were planed and planted with ornamental trees.
The Staff Post, developed in 1881 as permanent officers' quarters, was arranged in an L-shape around a parade ground that opened to the south onto Grayson Street, thus providing a connection to surrounding civilian neighborhoods. Prominent San Antonio architect Alfred Giles designed these quarters in the Italianate style. The largest of these quarters (Building No. 6) has always been occupied by the commanding general, the senior officer on post.
Erected by Fort Sam Houston.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles Government & Politics • Landmarks • Man-Made Features • Military • Notable Buildings • Patriots & Patriotism. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 29° 26.607′ N, 98° 27.819′ W. Marker is in Fort Sam Houston, Texas, in Bexar County. It is in Government Hill. Marker is at the intersection of Liscum Road and Staff Post Road, on the right when traveling south on Liscum Road. Marker is about 100 feet from the SW corner of the Quadrangle. Access is restricted due to Fort Sam Houston being an active military installation. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jbsa Ft Sam Houston TX 78234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. M-48 Medium Tank 90mm "Patton" (here, next to this marker); M-56 Howitzer 105mm Towed (Yugoslavia) (a few steps from this marker); M-59 Armored Personnel Carrier (a few steps from this marker); M-1905 Field Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); Bullis House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Belgian Transit of Venus Observation SiteSam Houston House (approx. Ό mile away); Tether Wall (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Sam Houston.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2023. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,985 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.