Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
William Rhett House
This house, built ca. 1712, is believed to be one of the oldest houses in Charleston. It was built for William Rhett (1666-1723), a merchant, sea captain, militia officer, and speaker of the Commons House of Assembly famous for capturing the pirate Steed Bonnet. In 1807 Christopher Fitzsimons (d. 1825), a merchant and planter, bought the house, renovating and enlarging it and adding its piazzas.
The asymmetrical plan of the house includes a central hall with two large rooms on the western side and two slightly smaller rooms on the eastern side. With the relative decline of “Rhettsbury” in the early 20th century the house was a boarding house during the 1920s and 30s. Its restoration by Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin R. Kittredge, Jr., who bought it in 1941, was one of the first in this part of Charleston.
Erected 2002 by Historic Charleston Foundation. (Marker Number 10-43.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1712.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 54 Hasell Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Col. William Rhett House (here, next to this marker); Trinity Methodist Church Original Site / William Hammett (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Peter's Catholic Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William C. McElheran House (about 300 feet away); Jones-Howell House (about 400 feet away); A History of Courtenay Square (about 500 feet away); Dr. Joseph Johnson House (about 500 feet away); St. Stephen's Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
More about this marker. Although the marker is erected as 10-4, it is actually designated 10-43 according to the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 758 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 13, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. 5. submitted on July 29, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 6, 7. submitted on June 13, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.