Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lancaster in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Shippen House

 
 
Shippen House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, February 2, 2008
1. Shippen House Marker
Inscription.  Site of house occupied 1751-1781, by Edward Shippen; lawyer, judge, Chairman Committee of Observation, and grand-father of Peggy Shippen Arnold. An earlier occupant was Thomas Cookson, first Burgess of Lancaster Borough.
 
Erected 1950 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list.
 
Location. 40° 2.404′ N, 76° 18.114′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is at the intersection of East Orange Street and North Lime Street, on the right when traveling east on East Orange Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lancaster PA 17602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Christopher Marshall (within shouting distance of this marker); Monument to John Wise (about 300 feet away,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
measured in a direct line); Captain Stephen Chambers (about 400 feet away); Colonel Matthias Slough (about 400 feet away); Edward Shippen (about 400 feet away); Jasper Yeates (about 400 feet away); Robert Coleman (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Edward Shippen's grave site in St. James' Cemetery.
 
Site is now occupied by YWCA of Lancaster built in 1917. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, February 2, 2008
2. Site is now occupied by YWCA of Lancaster built in 1917.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 7, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,908 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on June 15, 2010, by John Jascoll of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 7, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=31893

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024