Taylor in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Albert Eikel (b. 1852) had this building constructed in 1893 to house the Eikel Hardware Company. The three-story, brick commercial structure was designed by prominent Williamson County architect Henry Struve. The building was purchased in 1923 by the Ira A. Prewitt Company and remained the home of that business until 1981. Prominent features include its cast iron pilasters and the paired, rounded windows. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark—1985.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9086.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1893.
Location. 30° 34.222′ N, 97° 24.579′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 316 N Main St, Taylor TX 76574, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Preslar-Hewitt Building (a few steps from this marker); Tex Avery (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Taylor (about 300 feet Bill Pickett (about 300 feet away); Taylor Post Office (about 400 feet away); Taylor National Bank (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Taylor (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Christian Church of Taylor (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylor.
Also see . . . Eikel-Prewitt Building - Williamson County Historical Commission. (Submitted on February 17, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,393 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 27, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 3. submitted on February 17, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.