Ridgefield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Out of the Ashes
The Museum in the Streets
The Fire District in Ridgefield was organized in 1896 following the devastating fire of 1895. Ex-Governor Phineas Lounsbury was an early benefactor of the Department and the new engine company took his name. The firehouse is also the site of the old Sholes and Smith Shirt factory, later moved to the Big Shop then located at the corner of Main Street and West Lane. The eastern section is the original 1908 Georgian Revival Style building of brick and wood with granite corner quions.
Benjamin Burt, a blacksmith, arrived in 1712 from Norwalk and was assigned building lot #28 on the northwest corner of Catoonah and Main Streets. Shoeing horses was of great importance, but his skills were also needed for making tools, hinges, cranes, kettles, latches, nails and all things made from steel that were needed in a new settlement. During the Revolution the Burt family cast their lot with the Crown and as a result their property was confiscated by the government and sold at public auction, and the family expelled from town. (Marker Number 13.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
Location. 41° 16.88′ N, 73° 30.001′ W. Marker is in Ridgefield, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Catoonah Street and Main Street (Connecticut Route 35), on the right when traveling east on Catoonah Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 Catoonah Street, Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Livery Stable and the First Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); A Much-Loved Old Church and a Watering Trough for Horses (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Village Center in the Early 1900s (about 400 feet away); The Great Fire of 1895 (about 500 feet away); More of the Great Fire (about 500 feet away); The Museum in the Streets (about 500 feet away); The First Society of Ridgefield (about 600 feet away); The Original Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridgefield.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take the Museum in the Streets Walking Tour in Ridgefield, Connecticut.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 682 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 20, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.