Trampas in Taos County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
(reverse) La población de Las Trampas fue establecida en el año 1751 con doce familias de la Villa de Santa Fe, conducidas por Juan de Argüello. Los pobladores recivieron una merced para este lugar del Gobernador Tomás Vélez Cachupín. La iglesia de San José de Gracia, que fue construida en el siglo diez y ocho, es unas de las mas finas que se hallan en Nuevo México.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Hispanic Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1751.
Location. 36° 7.865′ N, 105° 45.505′ W. Marker is in Trampas, New Mexico, in Taos County. Marker is on State Road 76, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trampas NM 87576, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured Pueblo of Picuris (approx. 4.9 miles away); Maria Ramita Simbola Martinez "Summer Harvest" (1884-1969) (approx. 5 miles away); Truchas Peaks (approx. 6.3 miles away); Truchas (approx. 7.4 miles away); Pilar (approx. 9.6 miles away); Embudo Stream-Gaging Station (approx. 11.2 miles away); Captive Women and Children of Taos County / María Rosa Villapando, (ca. 1725-1830) (approx. 12.3 miles away); William J. Klauer (approx. 12.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Wikipedia Entry. This entry contains photographs of the interior. “The San Jose de Gracia Church, also known as Church of Santo Tomas Del Rio de Las Trampas, is a church built between 1760 and 1776 in Las Trampas, New Mexico. Originally named Santo Tomas del Rio de las Trampas, the church is of adobe construction with a mud-plaster exterior, which is renewed periodically by parishioners. The church was reroofed and repaired in 1932 by the Society for the Preservation of New Mexico Mission Churches, led by renowned architect John Gaw Meem.
“The church ceiling is painted with 18th and 19th century designs, and the interior is decorated with notable artworks of 18th and 19th century santeros. The annual feast day is March 19. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1970.” (Submitted on April 23, 2013.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 21, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,507 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 21, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on April 23, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 4. submitted on October 28, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 5, 6. submitted on April 23, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.