Newtown in Bucks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Edward Hicks House
Newtown Heritage Walk No. 3
Edward Hicks (1780-1849), son of Isaac and Catherine Hicks, was a Quaker minister, sign painter and folk artist, most famous for over sixty versions of his Peaceable Kingdom paintings. Born in Langhorne, his mother died when he was young, and Hicks was raised by David and Elizabeth Twining on their farm in Newtown Township. After an apprenticeship in Attleborough (now Langhorne) and an eleven-year stint as junior partner of a coach maker in Milford (now Hulmeville), Hicks moved to Newtown in 1811 with his wife Sarah Worstall and his children to go into business for himself. They moved into the Thornton/Hicks house on Court Street next to the Half Moon Inn. Hicks opened a shop in his back yard and carried on his busines of coach and sign painting.
Besides signs, Hicks also painted what his fellow Quakers sometimes disapprovingly called "ornamentals" - pictures of landscapes, people, historical events, and animals. His Peaceable Kingdom paintings illustrate Isaiah 11:6-9, using groupings of children and wild and tame animals in loving intimacy, with William Penn in the background, signing his treaty with the Indians.
In 1821, Hicks built this stone house located at 122 Penn Street. He built his coach shop in the back yard and his paint shop above the carriage house, which adjoined his home. The artist's reputation as a sign and coach painter grew quickly. Isaac Worstall Hicks, his only son, built the stone manor home across the street at 123 Penn Street in 1833. Isaac apprenticed under his father and together they operated under the name, "Edward Hicks and Son" in the 1830s and 1840s. Edward Hicks resided in Newtown until his death in 1849. He is buried in the Friends Meeting burial ground; his memorial service on the grounds drew 5,000 people and was reportedly the largest funeral in Bucks County at that time.
Erected 2007 by Newtown Friends Meeting and Newtown Historical Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion • Civil RightsIndustry & Commerce • Peace. In addition, it is included in the Quakerism series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1811.
Location. 40° 13.59′ N, 74° 56.091′ W. Marker is in Newtown, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is at the intersection of Penn Street and Congress Street, on the right when traveling east on Penn Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 122 Penn Street, Newtown PA 18940, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edward Hicks (a few steps from this marker); Newtown and Vicinity World War I Honor Roll (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Newtown Library Company (about 400 feet away); Friends Meeting (about 500 feet away); Whitehall (about 600 feet away); White Hall (about 600 feet away); Half-Moon Inn (about 600 feet away); Bird in Hand (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newtown.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . Edward Hicks at FindAGrave.com. (Submitted on July 14, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,921 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 19, 2014, by Glomar of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.