Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Richmond Locomotive Works
This building was once the home of the Richmond
Locomotive Works, one of the world's most
famous steam locomotive builders.
Steam engines powered the industrial revolution
in the United States, and Richmond-made steam
locomotives carried an enormous quantity of
manufactured products across the country and
around the world.
The pieces you see here were all integral parts of
the Richmond Locomotive Works assembly line,
which manufactured great American steam engines
in this building from 1887 to 1927.
Erected 2009 by Movieland.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 37° 34.025′ N, 77° 28.024′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Boulevard (Virginia Route 161) and West Leigh Street. This marker is located in the parking lot of Bow Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1301 North Boulevard, Richmond VA 23230, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Boulevard Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); Broad Street Station (approx. half a mile away); Memorial Bell Tower (approx. half a mile away); Jefferson Davis (approx. 0.6 miles away); 509 North Mulberry Street (approx. 0.6 miles away); Arthur Ashe Monument (approx. 0.7 miles away); Virginia Historical Society (approx. 0.7 miles away); West of the Boulevard Historic District (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . .
1. Richmond Locomotive & Machine Works (pdf file). National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on June 27, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
2. Richmond Movieland Bow Tie Cinemas. (Submitted on June 27, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,407 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 27, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.