Orangeburg in Orangeburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Judge Glover's Home
Erected 1970 by Orangeburg County Historical Society. (Marker Number 38-13.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1907.
Location. 33° 29.475′ N, 80° 51.438′ W. Marker is in Orangeburg, South Carolina, in Orangeburg County. Marker is on Whitman Street, on the left when traveling east. Located between Magnolia Street (US 21 / 601) and Elliott Street SE. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orangeburg SC 29115, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Church of the Redeemer (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Orangeburg Massacre (approx. 0.3 miles away); South Carolina State University (approx. 0.3 miles away); Trinity United Methodist ChurchCourt House Square (approx. 0.4 miles away); Orangeburg Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Williams Chapel A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Two Old Guns Of Captain Henry Felder (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orangeburg.
Regarding Judge Glover's Home. Judge Thomas W. Glover House: 525 Whitman St. Believed to have been built between 1833 and 1838 by Judge Thomas Worth Glover, a leading citizen of Orangeburg and a signer of the Ordinance of Secession,this stately house was used by General William T. Sherman as his headquarters during the invasion by Union
soldiers in Orangeburg County. Because of its beauty Sherman left a guard at the house to make sure the structure was not harmed.(City of Orangeburg)
1. Marker soon to be reinstalled after damage.
An archivist with the Orangeburg County Historical Society, said the historical marker’s pole collapsed earlier this year and needed to be replaced. The Society has the marker and the pole is being shipped and will reinstall
— Submitted August 25, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,205 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.