Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
" you know nothing about the lesson anyhow."
The College soon took on a bizarre and unexpected role in the battle. Shortly after the dismissal of the classes, Pennsylvania Hall began an arduous month of service as a hospital for the wounded of both sides. More than 600 Confederate casualties would be quartered inside the building while tables were set up on the porticos where surgeons amputated shattered limbs.
The College contributed more than its buildings to the Union cause. On June 17th, sixty-one students left classes and volunteered for service in the hastily formed 26th Pennsylvania Emergency Volunteer Regiment. Nine days later, they fought with the regiment when it unsuccessfully opposed the advance of Confederate forces three miles west of Gettysburg.
Relieved of its wounded and hospital duties in mid-August, the College miraculously was able to recover and reopen in time for the fall term.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1884.
Location. 39° 49.983′ N, 77° 14.008′ W. Marker is in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of North Washington Street and Delap Alley, on the right when traveling south on North Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 North Washington Street, Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dwight D. Eisenhower (within shouting distance of this marker); The Gettysburg and Harrisburg Railroad Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Miller Hall (about 500 feet away); First Lieutenant Stephen Holden Doane '70 (about 500 feet away); Daniel Alexander Payne (about 500 feet away); For the Union Cause (about 600 feet away); Ice House Complex (about 700 feet away); U.S.A. Signal Station (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
More about this marker. On the right is a photo of The Gettysburg College campus in 1863. Founded as Pennsylvania College in 1832, it occupied this site in 1837. Pennsylvania Hall (on the right) and the President's House (on the left) remain in use today. Linnaean Hall (in the center) no longer exists. (Photo courtesy Gettysburg College).
Also see . . . Gettysburg College. A short history of the college. (Submitted on June 28, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,639 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 28, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.