Newtown in Bucks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Newtown Heritage Walk No. 31
Although some historians believe there may have been a tavern at this location fifty years earlier, Andrew and Nancy McMinn built the first part of the Temperance House, located at 5 South State Street, circa 1772. Part of the building was used as a tavern and another section as a schoolhouse, where Andrew McMinn taught school. McMinn became a well-known figure in Newtown, and later served as a sergeant in Capt. Henry Van Horn's militia company during the Revolutionary War.
General Francis Murray and Jolly & Mercy Yardley Longshore ran the inn during post-Revolutionary days. Innkeeper William R. Hallowell renamed the hostelry "The Temperance Hotel" in 1848. The inn later became known as "The Niagara Temperance House" under proprietor Joseph Willard, complementing Edward Hicks' sign depicting a moose standing by Niagara Falls. Samuel Willard later named it "The Temperance Hotel Oyster and Ice Cream Bar." The name was reduced by common usage over the years to simply "The Temperance House" and then to "The Temp". The hotel remains a popular dining spot today and now encompasses the buildings from 5-11 South State Street.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Education • Industry & Commerce • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1772.
Location. 40° 13.736′ N, 74° 56.201′ W. Marker is in Newtown, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is on State Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker is about 100 feet south of Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5-11 S State Street, Newtown PA 18940, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Paxson-Croasdale Building & Trolley (within shouting distance of this marker); Brick Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Newtown - County Seat (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First National Bank (about 400 feet away); Newtown War Memorial (about 400 feet away); Newtown Borough Hall (about 400 feet away); Half-Moon Inn (about 400 feet away); Justices House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newtown.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 863 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.