Coolidge in Pinal County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Those Who Are Gone
The Casa Grande is the most prominent remnant of an ancient civilization that once occupied the Salt and Gila River valleys from A.D. 300-1450. Archeologists call these people Hohokam, a Pima word meaning "those who are gone."
The Hohokam were farmers and well adapted to desert living. In prehistoric times, as today, irrigation was the key to desert farming. With simple tools and manual labor, the Hohokam dug hundreds of miles of canals. They maintained extensive trade routes in all directions, receiving goods from hundreds of miles away.
The first European to observe the ruins was Father Kino, a Jesuit missionary. When he visited in 1694, the Casa Grande (Big House), as he named it, had been abandoned for over 250 years. It is not known what happened to the Hohokam. Some archeologists believe that the Hohokam are the ancestors of present day Indian groups. Others believe that the Hohokam gradually
Much remains to be known about the Hohokam. Even the purpose and use of the Casa Grande are uncertain, but some of its features suggest that it was an observatory, dwelling of a village leader or a religious building. You are invited to explore the mysteries of this ancient Hohokam village at Casa Grande Ruins National Monument, open daily from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Erected by National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1694.
Location. 33° 0.123′ N, 111° 31.415′ W. Marker is in Coolidge, Arizona, in Pinal County. Marker is at the intersection of Arizona Route 87 and Arizona Route 287, on the right when traveling north on State Route 87. Marker is at a ramada and picnic table on the southeast corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coolidge AZ 85128, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as Stephen Tyng Mather (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Coolidge Woman's Club (approx. 1.6 miles away); Ghost Town of Adamsville (approx. 4.6 miles away); Granville H. Oury (approx. 6.8 miles away); Chas. D. Poston (approx. 7.6 miles away); George-Brockway House (approx. 7.9 miles away); Florence High School (approx. 8 miles away); C.D. Henry House (approx. 8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coolidge.
Also see . . .
1. Casa Grande Ruins National Monument. The National Park Service gives a detailed history of the area and monument along with several photos. (Submitted on June 30, 2010.)
2. Casa Grande Ruins National Monument - A Centennial History of the First Prehistoric Reserve. Internet Archive website entry:
A National Park Service Publication at the Centennial of the designation as a National Monument. A detailed history with numerous sketches and vintage photos. (Submitted on June 30, 2010.)
3. Kino Heritage Society. Society website homepage (Submitted on December 2, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,027 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 4, 5. submitted on July 28, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 6. submitted on June 30, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.