Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Nathaniel Dean Farmhouse
Erected 1974 by Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 26.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Architecture • Churches & Religion • Education • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
Location. 43° 4.103′ N, 89° 19.542′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on Monona Drive, 0.1 miles south of Dean Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4718 Monona Drive, Madison WI 53716, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this Dean House / Nathaniel Dean (a few steps from this marker); Blooming Grove Town Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Monona’s Birthplace / Monona's History (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ernie's Trading Post (approx. 0.4 miles away); Springhaven Pagoda (approx. half a mile away); A.T. Lamboley Cottage (approx. half a mile away); Tonywatha Hotel and Springs (approx. half a mile away); Frank Allis House (approx. 0.6 miles away).
Regarding Nathaniel Dean Farmhouse. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "Nathaniel W. Dean was one of Madison's early pioneers. He was born in Massachusetts and came to Madison in 1842. He and his brother ran a general store that for several years was the leading commercial business in the village. In 1847 he married Harriet Morrison, daughter of one of Madison's earliest settlers. In 1857 Dean retired from the mercantile trade to devote his time to managing his land interests in the Town of Blooming Grove, which were extensive. This cream brick Italianate farmhouse was one of several that he owned, and because of its generous proportions was probably the one that his family lived in when they were not in Madison. He continued to expand his land interests into various other parts of Wisconsin and beyond, including a fine farm in Kansas. The Deans' downtown house was where the Park Hotel is now, and indeed, Dean built the original Park Hotel and moved the house off the site to make room for it. He died in 1880.
"In 1926 the old farm became a private golf course and the Dean farmhouse was remodeled as the clubhouse. The City of Madison purchased the golf course in 1935 and continued using the farmhouse as the clubhouse until the 1970s. It has been restored by the Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society and is now the only historic house museum in the City of Madison."
Additional keywords. Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 15, 2010, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 899 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on June 30, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. Photos: 1. submitted on June 12, 2010, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. 2. submitted on February 11, 2010, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.