Newtown in Bucks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Paxson-Croasdale Building & Trolley
Newtown Heritage Walk No. 30
The Croasdale building, located at 2-4 South State Street, was built in 1853. This building was the center of Newtown's commercial activities, housing dry goods stores, the First National Bank and several lodges. During the Civil War, the front of the third floor was used exclusively for the making of infantry topcoats by women of the community.
In the bottom photo at left, note the sign at left advertising Hutchinson's railway express business, where trolley and taxi tickets were sold. The trolley stopped at this intersection each day on its route, making this building the first place many people saw during their visits to Newtown.
The Newtown Electric Street Railway Company electric trolley operated from 1897 to 1923. At the turn of the century, hourly trolley service was offered to Doylestown, Langhorne, Bristol and Trenton via Yardley, all of which supplemented the considerable rail service to Philadelphia. With railroad connections, one could reach New York in just over two hours.
Trolleys were equipped with wooden benches and a potbelly stove to keep passengers warm. Not known for the smoothest of rides, trolleys
Erected 2007 by Stuckert and Yates and Newtown Heritage Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
Location. 40° 13.749′ N, 74° 56.213′ W. Marker is in Newtown, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is at the intersection of State Street and Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling south on State Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2-4 S State Street, Newtown PA 18940, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Temperance House (within shouting distance of this marker); Brick Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Newtown War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Newtown Borough Hall (about 300 feet away); Newtown - County Seat (about 400 feet away); The First National Bank (about 400 feet away); Newtown Common & Creek (about 500 feet away); Half-Moon Inn (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newtown.
Also see . . . Newtown Heritage Walk. (Submitted on June 30, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
1. Paxson-Croasdale Building
Jeremiah Woolston Robert Croasdale b. 1793 d. 1873 married Sarah (Wilson) Croasdale and had five children. Mary Woolston Croasdale b. 1826 married Moses Paxson. John Wilson Croasdale b. 1829 partnered with Moses Paxson and built the above buiness. In 1860 Census, John was living in Moses's home.
— Submitted July 31, 2010, by Terry Croasdale of Modesto, California.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 958 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 30, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.