Newtown in Bucks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Newtown Heritage Walk No. 29
Prior to 1750, there existed a dwelling on this site, 1 East Washington Avenue, which had been built by Shadrach Walley, Newtown's first settler. Amos Strickland, a farmer and entrepreneur from Philadelphia, bought the property in 1760. In 1763, he built a two-story brick residence, firing the bricks in his kiln on the outskirts of town. During the American Revolution, Strickland hosted George Washington's staff and captive Hessian officers in December 1776.
After Strickland's death in 1779, the mansion house was sold and converted into a tavern that became known as the Brick Hotel. In the early 19th century, the Brick Hotel was a favorite stop for Philadelphians who boated to Bristol and then took a coach to Newtown. The brick addition on the west side (top left) was built in about 1835 by Joseph Archambault. At the turn of the century, the Brick Hotel had 39 rooms, was heated by steam throughout and was the oldest hotel in operation in Newtown. Large Combination Sales (auctions) were held on the grounds of the Brick Hotel in the early 1900's. The Brick Hotel has been a landmark in Newtown as a tavern, hotel and restaurant
Erected 2007 by The Brick Hotel and Newtown Historic Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1776.
Location. 40° 13.763′ N, 74° 56.194′ W. Marker is in Newtown, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Avenue and State Street, on the left when traveling east on Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 E Washington Avenue, Newtown PA 18940, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Paxson-Croasdale Building & Trolley (within shouting distance of this marker); Temperance House (within shouting distance of this marker); Newtown War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Newtown Borough Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Newtown Common & Creek (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Newtown - County Seat (about 500 feet away); The First National Bank (about 500 feet away); Half-Moon Inn (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newtown.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 1, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 950 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 1, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.