Midville in Burke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Sherman at Midville
The Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps), Maj. Gen. O.O. Howard, USA, marched south via Jackson and Gordon and crossed the Oconee River at Ball's Ferry. The 15th Corps (Osterhaus) marched on roads west of the Ogeechee River. The 17th Corps, Maj. Gen. F.P. Blair, USA, which has been joined by Gen. Sherman and his staff at Tennille, moved on roads south of the railroad and Williamson Swamp Creek until opposite Burton (Midville), Station 9 1/2, CRR. On the 30th, the 17th Corps crossed
Next morning, the 17th Corps moved east on the present Ga 17, which it followed to Savannah. That night, it camped at Herndon Station 9, CRR, after stripping the country of provisions.
Erected 2010 by Georgia Historical Society. (Marker Number 017-11.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the Sherman’s March to the Sea series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1777.
Location. 32° 49.157′ N, 82° 14.082′ W. Marker is in Midville, Georgia, in Burke County. Marker is at the intersection of Jones Street (Georgia Route 56) and Lee Street (Georgia Highway 17), on the right when traveling north on Jones Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Midville GA 30441, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pine Barren Crossroads (approx. 2˝ miles away); Bark Camp Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); a different marker also named Bark Camp Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Sherman at the Jones Plantation (approx. 5˝ miles away); Summerville The Savannah Road (approx. 5.9 miles away); Old Town Plantation (approx. 7.9 miles away); The 20th Corps (approx. 10.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Midville.
More about this marker. This is a recreation of the missing 1958 Georgia Historical Commission marker, installed in 2010. It is part of the Georgia Historical Society's new (2010) program to replace missing markers documenting Sherman's March to the Sea.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2010, by Robert Hill Powers of Midville, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,706 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on July 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 26, 2010, by Robert Hill Powers of Midville, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.