Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fairburn in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Campbell County

←—

 
 
Old Campbell County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 19, 2010
1. Old Campbell County Marker
Inscription.  This was the Courthouse of Campbell County at the time it was merged with Fulton County Jan. 1, 1932. When the County was created by Acts of the Legislature Dec. 20 & 22, 1828, the Site was at Campbellton on the Chattahoochee but it was moved to Fairburn in 1870. The county was named for Col. Duncan G. Campbell, one of the signers of the Treaty made at Indian Springs in 1825 by which the Creeks ceded much of the land that later made up Campbell County. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Nathaniel Nickolson; Clerk of Superior Court Littleberry Watts; Clerk of Inferior Court Gambril White; Coroner Isaac Calhoun and Surveyor Shadrach Green.
 
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-24A.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 33° 34.025′ N, 84° 34.789′ W. Marker is in Fairburn, Georgia
Old Campbell County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 19, 2010
2. Old Campbell County Marker
The marker as seen from NE Broad Street
, in Fulton County. Marker is on NE Broad Street 0 miles south of Pearl Street, on the right when traveling north. The marker stands in front of the old Campbell County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fairburn GA 30213, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shadnor Baptist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Site: Old Red Oak P.O. 1864 (approx. 4 miles away); Palmer Family Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Ramah Baptist Church (approx. 5 miles away); Hopeful Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 6.1 miles away); Confederate Army of Tennessee (approx. 6.2 miles away); Confederate Monument (approx. 6.2 miles away); Palmetto (approx. 6.2 miles away).
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. An historic marker at Col. Duncan G. Campbell's home, and the birthplace of his son, U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Archibald Campbell, located in Washington, Georgia.
 
Old Campbell County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 19, 2010
3. Old Campbell County Courthouse
Built in 1871
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,014 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 6, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 8, 2020