Inner Harbor in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Baltimore Maritime Museum
The US Lighthouse Service first assigned Lightship 116 to the Fenwick Island Shoal (DE) Station from 1930-33; after that assignment she marked the entrance to Chesapeake Bay until the beginning of World War II. During 1942-45 Lightship 116 was employed as an armed inspection vessel near the entrance to the Cape Cod Canal (MA). In 1945 the ship returned to the waters off Cape Henry (VA) where her bright red hull, beacon light and "Chesapeake" station designation guided maritime traffic in and out of the Chesapeake Bay for the next 20 years. In 1965, the Chesapeake Lightship Station was replaced by a Coast Guard offshore light tower and Lightship 116's final duty was to mark the approaches to Delaware Bay. In 1970 she was transferred
Erected by Baltimore City Heritage Area.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 39° 17.159′ N, 76° 36.526′ W. Marker is in Inner Harbor in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on East Pratt Street, on the right when traveling east. Located along the Baltimore Inner Harbor walkway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Great Baltimore Oyster Partnership (a few steps from this marker); Baltimore Riot Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Together we remember the people of Maryland who perished on 9.11.2001 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Ships in Baltimore (about 300 feet away); An Active Port for 300 Years (about 300 feet away); Top of the World Observation Level World Trade Center (about 300 feet away); Dr. William V. Lockwood (about 500 feet away); Discover Baltimore: Four Centuries of Change (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Inner Harbor.
More about this marker. On the left is a photo of Lightship 116 "Chesapeake" shown at her assigned station some 20 miles off Cape Henry (VA) c 1960.
Also see . . . LV 116 Chesapeake. (Submitted on July 6, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,094 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 6, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.