Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Buffalo Soldiers in Tampa Heights
African-Americans have served valiantly in all of America's wars. Although black soldiers fought and died in previous conflicts, they were not permitted to enlist as army regulars until after the Civil War. Organized into separate infantry and cavalry units, the black regiments were assigned to protect settlers in the American West. Native Americans, in honor of the fighting spirit of the African-American troops, called them "Buffalo Soldiers."
In April 1898, the United States declared war against Spain. Thousands of U.S. soldiers arrived in Tampa to prepare for an invasion of Cuba. Ten regiments, including two black units, camped on the fringes of the elegant Tampa Heights neighborhood. The Twenty-fourth Infantry was located just north of this marker, while the Twenty-fifth camped to the southeast.
The Buffalo Soldiers fostered pride among local blacks while encountering hostility in Tampa. On the eve of the army's embarkation for Cuba, Tampa was the scene of a serious clash between the black and white troops. Overcoming racial obstacles, the Buffalo Soldiers distinguished themselves on the battlefield in Cuba and
Erected by The Hillsborough County Historical Advisory Council and The Tampa Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Heroes • Military • Native Americans • War, Spanish-American. In addition, it is included in the Buffalo Soldiers series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1898.
Location. 27° 58.016′ N, 82° 27.313′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is at the intersection of East Columbus Drive and North Central Avenue, on the left when traveling east on East Columbus Drive. The marker is on the northeast corner of the intersection, beside a grassy field enclosed by a fence (the field in which the Twenty-fourth Infantry made camp, as noted by the marker). The field is within the boundaries of the Tampa Heights Historic District (a National and Local Historic District). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tampa FL 33602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. George Washington Junior High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); German-American Club (approx. 0.3 miles away); El Centro Asturiano de Tampa (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hillsborough County High SchoolTampa Free Public Library (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old People's Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cueto Boarding House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Greater New Salem Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
More about this marker. Across North Central Avenue from the marker stands St. James House of Prayer Episcopal Church. The distinctive stone chapel, built in 1922 in the Gothic Revival style, and otherwise known as the Episcopal House of Prayer or "The Rock Church" (for its construction), was listed with the National Register of Historic Places in 1995 (#91000105). It is also a contributing structure to the Tampa Heights Historic District and a City of Tampa Local Landmark Structure.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Additional keywords. Tampa Heights Historic District; St. James House of Prayer Episcopal Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 1, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 3,931 times since then and 282 times this year. Last updated on July 9, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 1, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.