Plainville in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Olde East Street Burying Grounds
Olde East Street Burying Grounds – before 1766 to 1856
This marker fondly and respectfully commemorates for all time, the contributions of our early citizens to the establishment of our Town's sturdy character.
Here lie our earliest settlers, sharing the green earth with honored dead of the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, civic leaders, business men and farmers.
Sadly, here also lie a number of unrecorded persons, who, though nameless are no less honored.
Time may obliterate records, dim memories and topple markers, but it can never diminish that which we, the citizens of Plainville, Connecticut, owe these early dwellers of the Great Plain.
This marker erected 1971 through the efforts of
the Plainville Cemetery Association and the Plainville Historical Society
Erected 1971 by the Plainville Cemetery Association, the Plainville Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1766.
Location. 41° 40.032′ N, 72° 51.731′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plainville CT 06062, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Plainville Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Plainville Korean War Vietnam War Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Plainville Persian Gulf War Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Plainville World War I & II Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Farmington Canal 1828-1848 (approx. one mile away); Come Ye To The Waters (approx. 3.4 miles away); Second Lt. Sherrod Emerson Skinner, Jr. (approx. 3.4 miles away); Near This Spot (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plainville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 699 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 11, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.