Dearborn in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fordson High School
When it was dedicated on March 22, 1928, Fordson High School was hailed as "one of the finest school buildings in the United States." Designed in the Neo-Tudor style, the school is reminiscent of sixteenth century English universities and manor houses. The tower was inspired by the Yale University Memorial Quadrangle and the Lawyers Club at the University of Michigan. Fordson's interior houses mosaics, statuary, Pewabic tile, and murals by Hungarian-born artist Zoltan Sepeshy (1898-1974). A major restoration occurred during the 1970s. In 1926 the school's architect, Everett Lane Williams of the Detroit firm of VanLeyen, Schilling and Keough, wrote, "May the youth of this city be inspired to enjoy life to its full extent."
Completed in 1928, Fordson High School stands on a fifteen-acre parcel in what was then the village of Fordson. Citizens raised $2.2 million through a bond issue to build the school. In 1929 the village merged with the city of Dearborn, creating the current boundaries. Fordson has a rich history of graduating students of many nationalities and cultures who have become leaders
Erected 1998 by Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number 660.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 19.781′ N, 83° 10.682′ W. Marker is in Dearborn, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 153 and Neckel Avenue, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 153. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13800 Ford Road, Dearborn MI 48126, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dearborn City Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dearborn City Hall Complex / Orville L. Hubbard (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Schaefer Building (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Neighborhood (approx. 0.6 miles away); Henry Ford Birthplace (approx. 0.8 miles away); Saint Alphonsus Parish / Saint Alphonsus Catholic Church Complex The Ford Rotunda (approx. 1.2 miles away); Wyoming Avenue (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dearborn.
Also see . . . Fordson High School website. (Submitted on July 15, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Education • Industry & Commerce • Labor Unions • Science & Medicine
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 1,480 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 12, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.