Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Florence in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Florence

 
 
First Baptist Church of Florence Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
1. First Baptist Church of Florence Marker
Inscription.  

Settlers in the farming and ranching community of Florence gathered in April 1856 to hear the Rev. Robert Hay Taliaferro (1824-1875) preach and help them formally organize a church. Originally known as the Baptist Church of Christ, the congregation changed its name to First Baptist Church during the first decade of the 20th century.

Several noted Baptist ministers have been associated with this congregation, including Taliaferro, the organizing pastor, who came to Texas from Kentucky in 1847 and established a number of Baptist congregations in the new state. Brother E. McDaniel served as first permanent pastor, from 1856 until 1869, soon followed by the Rev. George Washington Baines, from 1870 until 1877. Baines, great-grandfather of U.S. President Lyndon Baines Johnson, came to Texas in 1850 and served as president of Baylor University at Independence, in addition to pastoring a number of Baptist churches in Texas.

In 1869, the congregation built its first sanctuary, which also served as a community schoolhouse and as a meeting place for other religious and fraternal organizations in Florence. New facilities were
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
built as needed to accommodate First Baptist Church's growing membership. The congregation's programs of outreach and community assistance have played a significant role in the social and religious heritage of this part of Williamson County.
 
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12417.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureChurches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #36 Lyndon B. Johnson series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1856.
 
Location. 30° 50.575′ N, 97° 47.585′ W. Marker is in Florence, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on College Ave near Gardner Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 College Ave, Florence TX 76527, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church of Florence (approx. ¼ mile away); Early Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lawler Community (approx. 3 miles away); Andice Baptist Church (approx. 5.6 miles away); Prairie View Cemetery (approx. 7.2 miles away); Smart-McCormick Home (approx. 8 miles away); Briggs State Bank
First Baptist Church of Florence image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
2. First Baptist Church of Florence
(approx. 8.4 miles away); The Community of Briggs (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 4, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,360 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 4, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=3303

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 17, 2024