Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Seth Barton, 1755-1813, fought in the American Revolution, grew wealthy as a shipping merchant, and speculated in real estate. He laid out the subdivision that came to be called Liberty Town in 1812. He is buried at St. George’s Church.
Henry Deane was born a slave in Powhatan County, but arrived in Fredericksburg in 1868 as a free man. He worked for several local businesses but also managed his own livery and speculated in real estate.
This small community, laid out on the edge of town in 1812, greeted overland travelers with a wagon yard, a livery, a blacksmith, and a tavern/hotel. The tavern was called Rising Sun (later the Western Hotel) and stood on Liberty Street, to your front. It burned down in 1836.
Fredericksburg annexed Liberty Town, in 1851, and established a burial ground. Initially called Potters Field, it was later referred to as the Colored Cemetery. In 1861, the town allowed the burial there of 51 Confederate soldiers who had succumbed to disease in nearby encampments.
After the Civil War, the town curtailed burials and this area developed as an African-American neighborhood.
Erected by Fredericksburg Economic Development and Tourism Office.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, Fredericksburg: Timeless., and the Virginia, Historic Fredericksburg Foundation series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
Location. 38° 18.046′ N, 77° 27.829′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of George Street and Liberty Street, on the left when traveling west on George Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fredericksburg Roll of Honor (within shouting distance of this marker); A Memorial Landscape (within shouting distance of this marker); The Barton Street Potter's Field (within shouting distance of this marker); Barton Street Confederate Monument (within shouting Fredericksburg Cemeteries and the Corporation Burying Ground (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); From a Burying Ground to a Park (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named From a Burying Ground to a Park (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named From a Burying Ground to a Park (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Regarding Liberty Town. Photograph captions:
Top left photo: African Americans buried in Potters Field were reinterred in the Shiloh Cemetery, at Littlepage Street and Monument Avenue.
Top left photo: Small dwellings characterized this post Civil War African-American community. The frame dwelling in this photo was located on Liberty Street, to your front. The brick building in the background is still there.
Center photo: Henry Deane built many of the small houses in Liberty Town, some of which are still visible.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 16, 2010, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,171 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 16, 2010, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 24, 2010, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.