Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Georgia R.R. & Banking Co.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 121-5.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 33° 28.21′ N, 81° 58.072′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Bartram Visited Augusta, 1773. (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Church Of The Most Holy Trinity (about 700 feet away); Boyhood Home of Woodrow Wilson (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Two Early Augusta Churches (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); First Baptist Church Convention (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. ..more Georgia R.R. & Banking Co.
Also see . . .
1. The New Georgia Encyclopedia, Georgia Railroad Bank. The Georgia Railroad Company was chartered to a group of Athens businessmen in 1833 for the purpose of building a railroad from Augusta west into the interior of the state to extend the line that already existed between Charleston, South Carolina, and Augusta. In 1835 the charter was amended to allow banking operations, and (Submitted on July 16, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. The Georgia Railroad and Banking Company, Wikipedia entry. During the American Civil War, the Confederate States of America maintained a gun powder factory in Augusta. Car loads of gun powder would be transported on the Georgia Railroad to various battlefields in the "Western Campaign." (Submitted on July 16, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 16, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 710 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 16, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.