Prescott in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The Day Octagon
Dr. Warren E. Day was a colorful figure in the history of the Territory. His bravery and medical expertise during the Civil War gained the respect of General George Crook, who asked Day to come to Fort Verde, Arizona Territory, with him in 1873. In 1876 Day came to Prescott to establish a medical practice. He married a widow, Bridget Cordon in 1880. They had ten children. Dr. Day continued to practice in the area until the 1920's.
The rectangular portion of the Day Octagon was added in 1888. The building was later used as a commercial laundry and as offices. The Day Octagon was completely restored
Erected by by the City of Prescott.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 34° 32.519′ N, 112° 28.007′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is on East Gurley Street east of South Marina Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 212 East Gurley Street, Prescott AZ 86301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hassayampa Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Prescott High School and the Yavapai Club (within shouting distance of this marker); The Carnegie Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington School (about 400 feet away); Nob Hill (about 500 feet away); Prescott National Bank (about 500 feet away); The Bank of Arizona and the Electric Buildings (about 600 feet away); Knights of Pythias Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
Also see . . . Orson S. Fowler. He was the foremost proponent of phrenology in the United States when that pseudo-science was all the rage; he was the creator of the architectural design of octagon houses, a form which (Submitted on July 17, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 16, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 885 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 16, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.