Fernandina Beach in Nassau County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
During the Spanish and English periods of Florida history, many large tracts of land were granted primarily to induce settlement. All that remains of the Don Domingo Fernandez Spanish Grant is the family cemetery and this park. Royal title to this property was granted August 9, 1807. This land was once a part of the Earl of Egmont property on Amelia Island, which included the present site of the City of Fernandina Beach.
(Continued on reverse side)
(Continued from reverse side)
On January 1, 1825, the Legislative Council of the Territory of Florida passed "an act to incorporate the city of Fernandina." Little development resulted until 1853 when the Florida Railroad Company announced that Fernandina would form the eastern terminus for the first cross state railroad in Florida. This stimulated the growth of Florida by making a portion of the interior more accessible for further development and population growth.
Erected 1972 by The People of Saint Michael's Parish in Cooperation with Department of State. (Marker Number F-198.)
Topics. This historical Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is January 1, 1825.
Location. 30° 40.455′ N, 81° 27.691′ W. Marker is in Fernandina Beach, Florida, in Nassau County. Marker is on North 4th Street south of Calhoun Street. This historical marker is located just north of the community's downtown business district. It is situated by a park that has a small family cemetery with several very ornate burial stones in it and immediately north of the St. Michael's Academy. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fernandina Beach FL 32034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Phelan-Verot House Built Prior to 1866 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); David L. Yulee (about 700 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); U.S. Post Office–Customs House-Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Post Office Lamp Posts (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lesesne House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nassau County Historic Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Memorial United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fernandina Beach.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,018 times since then and 105 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 4, 5. submitted on July 22, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.