Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The house was owned by rancher John Rabb of Banquete during the years surrounding the Civil War. Dr. Eli T. Merriman used it as a hospital facility during the war and during the 1867 yellow fever epidemic. The property passed to Rabb's daughter, Martha, in 1878, and then went through a series of owners, during which time the house was used as a residence, a meeting place for the local poetry society, as a party house, and as rental property.
Originally located at 801 South Upper Broadway, the Merriman house was moved to this site in 1982 to ensure its preservation. One of few remaining examples of Greek Revival architecture in Corpus
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1963
Erected 1963 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6324.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1831.
Location. 27° 48.369′ N, 97° 23.715′ W. Marker is in Corpus Christi, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is on North Chaparral Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located in Heritage Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1521 North Chaparral Street, Corpus Christi TX 78401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kovner-Bobys Homestead (a few steps from this marker); Jalufka-Galatos House (a few steps from this marker); Grande-Grossman House (within shouting distance of this marker); McCampbell House (within shouting distance of this marker); French-Galvan House (within shouting distance of this marker); Irishtown (within shouting distance of this marker); Sidbury House (within shouting distance of this marker); Julius Lichtenstein House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corpus Christi.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 856 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.