Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Mt. Zion Baptist Church
As segregation became increasingly systematic, Mount Zion Baptist Church maintained the tradition of church leadership in the African American community. It joined both the Shiloh Baptist Church (Old Site) and (New Site) sanctuaries in providing a place for political meetings. In time, these institutions would participate in the broader Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 60s, their moral position attracting the critical support of many white citizens.
Erected by City of Fredericksburg, Virginia.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • Civil Rights.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Vibrant, But Segregated Community (here, next to this marker); Shiloh Baptist Church (New Site) (here, next to this marker); Fredericksburg (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Fredericksburg (about 600 feet away); John Paul Jones House (about 600 feet away); Welcome to Fredericksburg, Va (about 700 feet away); Fredericksburg United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Odd Fellows Lodge (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
More about this marker. On the left is a photo with the caption, "In 1881, the Reverend Willis M. Robinson became the minister of Shiloh Baptist Church. He led the congregation that formed the Shiloh Baptist Church (New site) in 1889, and then helped to establish the Mount Zion Baptist Church in 1904."
On the bottom right is a photo with the caption, "The Mount Zion Baptist Church was first constructed as a wood frame structure. It was replaced with the current brick sanctuary after a fire in 1925."
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,024 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 22, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 4. submitted on February 13, 2016, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.