Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Outdoor markets are a Madison tradition
The Madison Heritage Series
They chose the first block of East Washington Avenue, and a popular farmers’ market soon developed there. The Madison Businessmen’s Club used the same site from 1890 to 1906 for the Water Tower Horse Market. The city’s 1889 water tower, razed in 1920-21, served as a centerpiece.
City leaders relocated the farmers’ market to an indoor venue in 1910, where it was largely unsuccessful. The building still stands as a Madison landmark at the corner of Mifflin and Blount streets. In 1972, public officials and private vendors reinvigorated this agricultural tradition with the debut of the Dane County Farmers’ Market.
A Capitol Square mainstay, the Dane County Farmers’ Market began in 1972 and grew to become the nation’s largest, spawning neighborhood and weekday markets. Successful agricultural
Erected 2006 by City of Madison.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
Location. 43° 4.541′ N, 89° 22.982′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of East Washington Avenue and North Pinckney Street, on the right when traveling west on East Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 North Pinckney Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American House (a few steps from this marker); American Exchange Bank (a few steps from this marker); Capitol Square has long been the heart of the city (within shouting distance of this marker); Olson and Veerhusen Building / Hobbins Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Maeder Building / Ellsworth Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Winterbotham Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hans Christian Heg (about 400 feet away); Belmont Hotel (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
More about this marker. This marker is part of the The Madison Heritage Series, Sharing Our Legacy, created for Madison's sesquicentennial. The marker was sponsored by the Madison Community Foundation and CUNA Mutual Group.
Also see . . . Dane County Farmers' Market web site. (Submitted on July 24, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 684 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 24, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.