Front Royal in Warren County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Battle of Front Royal
May 23, 1862
Confederate Army of 16,000 under General Stonewall Jackson overwhelmed a Federal outpost of 1,000 under Colonel John R. Kenly. The Confederates approached Front Royal undetected from southwest on the afternoon of May 23. Spy Belle Boyd gave the advance units of Ewell's division information on Federal positions and the Confederate 1st Maryland Regiment of Ewell's Division led the attack against Kenly's Federal 1st Maryland. After the opening assault the Federals took an artillery position on the heights just north of the rivers. Confederates crossed the river bridges before Federals could destroy them. Outnumbered, the Federals retreated toward Winchester. Colonel T.S. Flournoy's cavalry pursued and smashed Kenly's command in a classic charge at Cedarville. Federal Army of 6,500 under Banks at Strasburg, being outflanked, withdrew northeast on Valley Pike May 24.
Erected 1964 by Virginia Civil War Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant day of the year for for this entry is May 23.
Location. 38° 57.189′ N, 78° 12.007′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Front Royal VA 22630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Execution of Mosby’s Men (here, next to this marker); Guard Hill Engagement (here, next to this marker); Guard Hill (approx. ¼ mile away); The Bridges (approx. 0.8 miles away); Recreational Center of Front Royal (approx. 1.1 miles away); Richardson’s Hill (approx. 1.2 miles away); Rose Hill (approx. 1.6 miles away); The McKay Home (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Front Royal.
Also see . . . Battle of Front Royal — May 23, 1862. National Park Service website entry (Submitted on August 10, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 25, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,404 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 25, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.