Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Georgia Military Institute
1851 – 1864
Opened in 1851 on a 110-acre campus, the Institute had a 4-year curriculum modeled after West Point. The cadet lifestyle was strict. Students attended classes all day followed by an hour-long drill, dress parades at sunset and evenings spent studying. Townspeople proudly supported the Institute and attended its functions. Cadets came from at least nine states and graduates included Major General Pierce M. B. Young, CSA. Although increased income from the school’s growth never kept pace with expenses, its financial future improved after the State acquired it in 1858. In the early 1860s cadets entered the military after reaching age 18, but in May 1864 all those remaining received their marching orders. After their departure, the school’s buildings were used in turn as a hospital for both sides and as a Federal headquarters and barracks before being destroyed in November. Only the adjoining private residence of the first superintendent, Col. Arnoldus V. Brumby, now called Brumby Hall, was spared. The cadets served at various locations in Georgia, then when the war ended in May 1865 they returned home as civilians. Despite much interest, efforts
Erected 2009 by Cobb County Community Development Agency.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1864.
Location. 33° 56.583′ N, 84° 33.117′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of Powder Springs Street SE (Georgia Route 360) and Hedges Street SE, on the right when traveling south on Powder Springs Street SE. The marker stands at the front edge of the parking lot for the Marietta Conference Center, adjoining the entrance to the Brumby Hall property. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Powder Springs Street SE, Marietta GA 30064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McLeod Vault (approx. 0.2 miles away); Founder's Lot William Harris (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Root (approx. ¼ mile away); Rest well, Miss Mattie (approx. ¼ mile away); Slave Lot (approx. ¼ mile away); S. V. Sanford (approx. ¼ mile away); Marietta Confederate Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
Also see . . . Georgia Military Institute. New Georgia Encyclopedia website (Submitted on July 28, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,292 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 28, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.