Shiloh in Hardin County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Harper's Mississippi Battery
Wood's Brigade - Hardee's Corps
— Army of the Mississippi —
Harper's Mississippi Battery,
Wood's (3d) Brigade, Hardee's Corps,
Army of the Mississippi.
This battery, of four guns, was in action here about 2 P.M. April 6, 1862.
Erected by Shiloh National Military Park Commission. (Marker Number 444.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1863.
Location. 35° 7.718′ N, 88° 20.069′ W. Marker is in Shiloh, Tennessee, in Hardin County. Marker is on Hamburg-Purdy Road, 0.4 miles west of Hamburg-Savannah Road, on the right when traveling west. This marker is between the last two cannon facing the Sarah Bell Cotton Field from the Hamburg-Savannah Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shiloh TN 38376, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stephens' Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp of 1st and 2nd Battalions, 11th Illinois Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); 1st Tennessee Infantry Battalion and 9th Tennessee Infantry Regiment (within Hazen's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); Venable's Tenn. Infantry (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Myers' Battery (about 400 feet away); Statham's Brigade (about 500 feet away); McClung's Tennessee Battery (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shiloh.
More about this marker. The cannon are pointed toward the Peach Orchard and the Manse George cabin, about a quarter mile to the north.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2010, by Allen Gathman of Pocahontas, Missouri. This page has been viewed 603 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 1, 2011, by Allen Gathman of Pocahontas, Missouri. 2, 3. submitted on July 29, 2010, by Allen Gathman of Pocahontas, Missouri. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.