Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Refugio in Refugio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Refugio County

 
 
Refugio County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, June 11, 2010
1. Refugio County Marker
Inscription.  Organized in 1835 into the Mexican municipality of Refugio. Created a county of the same name March 17, 1836, organized 1837. Named for the Mission "Our Lady of Refuge" established in 1791 to civilize and Christianize the Indians. Refugio, the county seat.
 
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 4232.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansPolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
 
Location. 28° 17.792′ N, 97° 16.536′ W. Marker is in Refugio, Texas, in Refugio County. Marker is on Commerce Street when traveling east. Marker in front of courthouse entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 808 Commerce Street, Refugio TX 78377, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel A. M. Hobby/Hobby's 8th Texas Infantry Regiment, C.S.A. (here, next to this marker); Refugio County Courthouse (here, next to this marker);
Refugio County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, June 11, 2010
2. Refugio County Marker
Empresario James Power (here, next to this marker); Sally Scull (here, next to this marker); Dennis M. O'Connor Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Amon B. King (within shouting distance of this marker); Irish Immigrants in Refugio (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Yucatan Soldiers' Burial Site (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Refugio.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 572 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 31, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 12, 2020