Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hampton, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Courthouse

 
 
The Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 31, 2010
1. The Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  The first Courthouse served Elizabeth City County (one of eight counties established in 1634) and Hampton, the county set. It was probably near the second church site of Elizabeth City Parish now the property of Hampton University. Court buildings have stood on or near this present site since 1715 when the first building of record was erected on property donated by Captain William Boswell. During the Revolutionary War the Courthouse became quarters and hospital for Rochambeau’s French troops. For the next century it also became a meeting place for Masons, Methodists and civic activities. It was burned during the War Between the States, razed and rebuilt in 1876 at the cost of $4,150.00. Some of the old bricks were used for the center portion. It was first remodeled in 1910 and has been enlarged several times in order to serve the needs of a growing city.

Given by the City of Hampton in cooperation with the Woman’s Club of Hampton, Virginia
 
Erected 1985 by City of Hampton, Woman’s Club of Hampton.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings
Hampton Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 31, 2010
2. Hampton Courthouse
Click or scan to see
this page online
War, US CivilWar, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1715.
 
Location. 37° 1.603′ N, 76° 20.681′ W. Marker is in Hampton, Virginia. Marker is on Kings Way 0.1 miles south of Lincoln Street, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Kings Way, Hampton VA 23669, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hampton Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Hampton Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); F.W. Woolworth Co. Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); King and Queen Streets (about 400 feet away); The Northeast Corner (about 400 feet away); The Sclater Building (about 400 feet away); The Southwest Corner (about 400 feet away); The Southeast Corner (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hampton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 707 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 1, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=33857

Paid Advertisement
May. 15, 2021