Near Chatsworth in Murray County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Forks of the Old Federal Road
Formal permission for the white people to use this way was granted by the Cherokees in the 1805 Treaty of Tellico, Tenn.
This thoroughfare, following the course of an early trading path to Augusta, became northwest Georgia’s first vehicular and postal route.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 105-9.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 34° 41.834′ N, 84° 44.135′ W. Marker is near Chatsworth, Georgia , in Murray County. Marker is at the intersection of Old U.S. 411 and Old Federal Road South (U.S. 76), on the left when traveling north on U.S. 411. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chatsworth GA 30705, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Gilmer (approx. 2.9 miles away); Old Federal Road (approx. 4.9 miles away); Murray County (approx. 5.2 miles away); Old Holly Creek P.O. (approx. 5.8 miles away); Mystery Shrouds Fort Mountain (approx. 5.8 miles away); Legends of Fort Mountain (approx. 6 miles away); Fort Mountain State Park (approx. 6.1 miles away); Springplace Mission (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chatsworth.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 721 times since then and 15 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on August 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?