Tennga in Murray County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Federal Road
Rights to open the trace were granted informally by the Cherokees in 1803 and confirmed by the Treat of Tellico, Tenn. in 1805. Prior to that period the thoroughfare served as an Indian trading path to Augusta.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 105-10.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 34° 58.917′ N, 84° 44.067′ W. Marker is in Tennga, Georgia, in Murray County. Marker is on U.S. 411 0.3 miles north of Liberty Church Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tennga GA 30751, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McNair's Stand (approx. 1.6 miles away in Tennessee); Civil War "No Man's Land" (approx. 10.7 miles away in Tennessee); Red Clay Council Ground (approx. 11 miles away in Tennessee); a different marker also named Old Federal Road (approx. 11½ miles away); Cotton Gin (approx. 12.1 miles away); Water Turbine (approx. 12.1 miles away); Prater's Mill (approx. 12.1 miles away); Prater’s Mill and The Civil War (approx. 12.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 607 times since then and 3 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on August 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?