Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Hampton, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Sclater Building

 
 
The Sclater Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 31, 2010
1. The Sclater Building Marker
Inscription.  The oldest surviving commercial structure in Old Hampton was built by William S. Sclater following the War Between the States. The lot is part of an original one-half acre on which, by the 1750's, was a large brick house belonging to a Captain Alexander Hamilton, gentleman merchant. During the Revolutionary War it was owned and operated as an ordinary by John Paul. The present building was occupied by retail stores, including Lemuel H. Sclater's Drugstore as early as 1881, H. R. Booker's Hardware Store (1895) and Wyatt Brothers, men's clothiers (1930-1969). It then became the offices of the law firm of E. Sclater Montague, grandson, and David N. Montague, great-grandson of Lemuel H. Sclater.

Given by David N. Montague
in cooperation with
The Woman's Club of Hampton, Virginia
 
Erected 1985 by The Woman's Club of Hampton, Virginia.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceNotable BuildingsWar, US Revolutionary.
 
Location. 37° 
E Queens Way & Kings Way image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 31, 2010
2. E Queens Way & Kings Way
1.549′ N, 76° 20.639′ W. Marker is in Hampton, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Queens Way and Kings Way, on the right when traveling west on East Queens Way. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hampton VA 23669, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Northeast Corner (a few steps from this marker); McDowell's Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); The Magnolia Tree Inn (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hampton Baptist Church (about 300 feet away); Hampton Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Hampton Is Burned (about 400 feet away); The Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Twentieth-Century Hampton (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hampton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 649 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 4, 2020