Barbour County / Randolph County
Barbour County. Formed from Harrison, Lewis, and Randolph in 1843. It is named for a distinguished Virginia jurist, Philip Pendleton Barbour. Scene of opening hostilities on land between the armies of the North and South in 1861.
Randolph County. Formed from Harrison in 1787. Named for Edmund Jennings Randolph, Virginia statesman and soldier. Largest county in the State. Federal dominance of the Tygarts Valley in War between the states largely determined control of W. Va.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Political Subdivisions • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1843.
Location. 38° 57.697′ N, 79° 58.174′ W. Marker is near Junior, West Virginia, in Barbour County. Marker is on Junior-Philippi-Grafton Road (U.S. 250), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Junior WV 26275, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Crawford Scott (approx. 1.8 miles away);
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 793 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 2, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 5, 6. submitted on December 27, 2020, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.