Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Dorothy – Hull Number One
Named for the daughter of former Secretary of the Navy William C. Whitney, the Dorothy operated in New York harbor until 1912. She then returned as the J. Alvah Clark to Hampton Roads, which was to remain her home port for more than 50 years.
A collision in 1964 ended the tugboat’s long and colorful career. A decade later she was rescued from salvage and restored by employees of the same company that had built her more than 80 years earlier.
On June 19, 1976, Dorothy was dedicated to the pride and craftsmanship of the men and women of Newport News Shipbuilding “…the best in the world, because our people are.”
Erected by Newport News Shipbuilding.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1891.
Location. 36° 59.261′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23607, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dorothy & Newport News Shipbuilding (a few steps from this marker); Atlantic (approx. ¼ mile away); Virginia (approx. ¼ mile away); Newport News (approx. ¼ mile away); Dorothy (approx. ¼ mile away); Nimitz (approx. ¼ mile away); United States (approx. ¼ mile away); The Apprentice School (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
Also see . . . Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company. The Old Dominion Land Company and the Development of the City of Newport News. A Collection of Maps, Blueprints, Photographs and Documents. Newport News Public Library. (Submitted on August 4, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 821 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 4, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.