Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Dorothy & Newport News Shipbuilding
Following Dorothy, the company has built more than 700 ships--ranging from yachts to tankers, from freighters to submarines, from gunboats to battleships, among our most famous ships are the passenger liners America and United States. Since 1934, when Newport News delivered the world’s first aircraft carrier, Ranger, the shipyard has built more than a score of carriers, including Essex, Hornet, Yorktown, Franklin, Enterprise, Forrestal, John F. Kennedy, Nimitz, Dwight D, Eisenhower, and Carl Vinson.
After a 1964 collision ended her career, Dorothy was brought home to Newport News, where she was carefully restored and, in 1976, moved to this site, where she stands as a tribute to the
Erected by Dorothy & Newport News Shipbuilding.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
Location. 36° 59.272′ N, 76° 26.179′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Washington Avenue and 41st Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23607, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dorothy – Hull Number One (a few steps from this marker); Atlantic (approx. ¼ mile away); Virginia (approx. ¼ mile away); Newport News (approx. ¼ mile away); Dorothy (approx. ¼ mile away); Nimitz (approx. ¼ mile away); United States (approx. ¼ mile away); The Apprentice School (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,097 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 4, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.