Green Lake in Green Lake County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Dartford–Green Lake Dam
In 1850, John Sherwood opened a new outlet from the pond with a mill race and built a 4-story grist mill. Over the years, several reconstructions of the dam were needed to maintain the lake level, including a major change in 1900 by Victor Lawson.
In 1986, heavy rains and high waters caused erosion of the earthern embankment. The Dept. of Natural Resources ordered the lake level to be lowered until the City of Green Lake could repair the dam. With no tax money available, a committee was formed to raise $150,000 in voluntary contributions. And in 1988 repairs were made with steel sheathing to strengthen the dam.
Dedication was on July 3, 1988, commemorating the generosity of Green Lake area people and organizations whose contributions made the dam reinforcement possible.
Walter Carr Merigold
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1861.
Location. 43° 50.792′ N, 88° 57.616′ W. Marker is in Green Lake, Wisconsin, in Green Lake County. Marker is on Mill Street (County Highway A) north of Water Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Green Lake WI 54941, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Memory (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Propeller from the “Queen of the Lake” (approx. ¼ mile away); "Daycholah" (approx. 0.7 miles away); "No Hurry" (approx. 3.3 miles away); Chapel Car "Grace" (approx. 3.4 miles away); Ceresco (approx. 5½ miles away); Carrie Chapman Catt (approx. 5½ miles away); First Congregational Church of Ripon (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Green Lake.
Also see . . . City of Green Lake, Wisconsin. (Submitted on August 4, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 740 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 4, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.