Wharton Township near Farmington in Fayette County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort Necessity was located about 400 yards to the south in the Great Meadows. Built and commanded, 1754 by Lieutenant Colonel George Washington, aged 22. Here, after 9 hours engagement with M. Coulon de Villiers in command of 900 French regulars and their Indian allies, Washington and his 400 raw Virginia and South Carolina troops capitulated and early next morning July 4, 1754 marched out with the honors of war.
Erected 1926 by The Pennsylvania Historical Commission and Citizens of Fayette County.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, French and Indian. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, the George Washington Slept Here, and the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is July 4, 1811.
Location. 39° 49.084′ N, 79° 35.261′ W. Marker is near Farmington, Pennsylvania, in Fayette County. It is in Wharton Township. Marker is on National Pike (U.S. 40) west of the entrance to Fort Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grindstone PA 15442, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The National Road (a few steps from this marker); Mount Washington Tavern (a few steps from this marker); The Great Meadows (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Fort Necessity (approx. ¼ mile away); Building Fort Necessity (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farmington.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Necessity. National Park Service website. (Submitted on May 8, 2006.)
2. Fort Necessity - Behind the Marker. Explore PA History.com (Submitted on July 11, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on May 8, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,593 times since then and 100 times this year. It was the Marker of the Week June 2, 2013. Photos: 1. submitted on July 13, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 2. submitted on May 8, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 3, 4. submitted on March 31, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana.