Goliad in Goliad County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Hanging Tree
Hangings not called for by regular courts occurred here during the 1857 "Cart War" -- a series of attacks made by Texas freighters against Mexican drivers along the Indianola - Goliad - San Antonio Road. About 70 men were killed, some of them on this tree, before the war was halted by Texas Rangers.
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2360.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Events • Notable Places.
Location. 28° 39.973′ N, 97° 23.518′ W. Marker is in Goliad, Texas, in Goliad County. Marker is on North Courthouse Square, on the right when traveling east. On courthouse grounds between South Commercial Street and South Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 127 North Courthouse Square, Goliad TX 77963, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Santa Anna's Surrender Ratified (a few steps from this marker); Goliad County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Goliad Tornado of 1902 (within shouting distance of this marker); Regulators of Goliad County (within shouting distance of this marker); Don Rafael Antonio Manchola (within shouting distance of this marker); Bull Durham Tobacco Wall Advertisement (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Goliad Advance-Guard (about 400 feet away); Market House Museum (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goliad.
Also see . . . The Cart War Oak. A giant live oak was the site of the court sessions. Its huge horizontal limbs served as a ready-made gallows for the swift conduct of capital sentences passed by those early courts. A number of the cart-cutting outlaws alternately cursed and prayed as they left this world at the end of the hangman's knotted rope. (Submitted on August 9, 2010.)
Additional keywords. Cart War
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,384 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 6, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 3. submitted on November 12, 2012, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.