Lexington in Davidson County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Lexington in the Civil War
Occupation and Fire
Officers belonging to the 9th Pennsylvania Cavalry, under Union Gen. H. Judson Kilpatrick, were quartered in the Davidson County Courthouse for two months starting in May, as Reconstruction began in the South. The balance of the regiment bivouacked outside Lexington, and several companies patrolled the countryside. The flamboyant Kilpatrick established his headquarters nearby at Lexington’s finest residence, The Homestead.
On November 23, 1865, while Union troops still occupied the county, fire damaged the interior of the courthouse. The fire may have started in a ground-floor office and burned through to the courtroom. Some townspeople thought that the soldiers had
James M. Leach, an attorney and former Confederate congressman, petitioned the U.S. Congress for the costs of repairing the damage. His petition was never heard, and the county was forced to borrow money from private citizens to pay for the repairs.
The Davidson County Courthouse was completed in the Greek Revival and Italianate styles in 1858. The building continued to serve the courts until 1958, and has housed the Davidson County Historical Museum since 1976.
Erected by Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the North Carolina Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 49.45′ N, 80° 15.231′ W. Marker is in Lexington, North Carolina, in Davidson County. Marker is on E Center Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located next to the old Court House, between Greensboro and Main Streets. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lexington NC 27292, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured Old Davidson County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Lexington (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain Benjamin Merrill (within shouting distance of this marker); Daniel Boone and Gen. Nathanael Greene (within shouting distance of this marker); Our Confederate Dead (within shouting distance of this marker); The Homestead (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wm. Rainey Holt (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pilgrim Church (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
More about this marker. The upper right of the marker contains a photograph of the “Davidson County Courthouse, ca. 1900. Courtesy Davidson County Historical Museum.” At the bottom left of the marker are photos of President Jefferson Davis and Union Gen. H. Judson Kilpatrick, both Courtesy Library of Congress.
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • War, US Civil
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,114 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 8, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.