Lafayette in Tippecanoe County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
To Commemorate The Wabash and Erie Canal
Which Operated 1841 - - 1872
Erected 1941 by General De Lafayette Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Wabash & Erie Canal series lists.
Location. 40° 25.141′ N, 86° 53.62′ W. Marker is in Lafayette, Indiana, in Tippecanoe County. Marker is on Main Street west of North 4th Street, on the left when traveling west. Located on the North side of the Tippecanoe County Courthouse in Lafayette, Indiana. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lafayette IN 47901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Tippecanoe County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); General Lafayette - Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); 1825 Lafayette 1925 A Tribute to Joe Rumpza - The Vegetable King (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Purple Heart Memorial (about 500 feet away); Earl & Hatcher Block (about 600 feet away); Big Four Depot (about 700 feet away); John Purdue Block (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lafayette.
Also see . . .
1. "Wabash & Erie Canal Park" - Delphi, Indiana::. This organization has the greatest concentration and most of the known remains of the Wabash & Erie Canal in Indiana. The many links on this web site are very interesting and fun to work with. (Submitted on August 9, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
2. "The men who dug the Canal" ::. A light and lively song with many old photos of canal builders in the process of digging a canal. (Submitted on August 9, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
3. "Angel of the Canal" ::. Many fell ill digging canals. In frontier days there were few doctors and medicine was scarce. In the Brecksville, Ohio area Mrs. Johnson became known as the "Angel of the Canal" for her care of the ill. (Submitted on August 9, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 9, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 887 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on August 9, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.